The fairly recent rediscovery that Hellenistic astrology has led to a resurgence in the use of the the majority of Spirit by astrologers, but up until now there has been no commonly agreed upon glyph or prize to use in order to stand for this point in astrological charts or computer system programs.
You are watching: Circle with vertical line through it
I would choose to rectify this case by proposing a certain design because that the prize that have to be provided to stand for the lot of Spirit. I have included an image of the symbol the I’m proposing come the left the this paragraph.
The symbol is in reality pretty simple. The is simply a circle through a upright line with it, with the line prolonging just a bit external of the one of the circle. This is in reality the sans-serif, capitalized variation of the Greek letter ϕ / phi (usually pronounced as “fee”), and also essentially what I’m proposing right here is adopting this different of the Greek letter phi together the symbol because that the lot of Spirit.
In Defense of the propose Glyph
This is actually something I’ve to be thinking about off and also on because that a couple of years, and at this point I think the I have the right to make a pretty great case for adopting this variation of the Greek letter phi together the glyph because that the lot of Spirit. Below are few of the key points of mine argument:
1) every little thing glyph is adopted, it must be rather simple, and also ideally it would certainly be nice if that was simple to attract by hand. Also if astrologers don’t typically calculate charts by hand anymore, I view the simplicity of the suggest glyph to be one the things that it has going in that favor.
3) The Greek letter phi is the first letter of the Greek indigenous phos, which way “light”. As I discussed a few years earlier in my paper on the 7 Hermetic lots, whoever first came up v the calculations because that the most Fortune and the lot of Spirit appears to have actually wanted to associate the heart with the ide of light, and Fortune v the principle of darkness. This is most likely due to various Platonic and also Hermetic associations between the body and also darkness, matches the heart or mind and also light. These concepts are installed in the calculations the each many is predicated on, and also so it would seem installation to encompass this subtle reference to that meaning in the glyph because that the many Spirit.
4) due to the fact that phi is already a symbol the is combined into Unicode and most key-board layouts, it should be reasonably easy to use it or combine it right into astrology software programs. Also in instances when the glyph has not been combined into the astrology font that software application programmers are using, they might simply usage the Unicode variation of the Greek letter phi, and also that would be a close sufficient approximation come the glyph.
5) modern-day astrologers such together Alan Oken frequently interpret the style of the astrological glyphs as having specific symbolic meaning based on the forms they are composed of. Because some that the astrological glyphs were introduced from the alchemical heritage in the center Ages, over there is most likely something come be claimed for this approach. From a symbolic perspective i would give this translate of the glyph that I’m proposing: The one in the middle represents the spirit, or the soul. The upright line v the middle represents upwards or downwards movement, which can be taken to describe the ascent and also descent that the heart through the planetary spheres, i beg your pardon a typical motif in Hellenistic and Roman philosophical and spiritual traditions.
6) ns realized after ~ I started thinking around adopting this symbol because that the lot of Spirit the it currently had a bit of background behind it, because it was currently used as a placeholder in some of the early Project hindsight translations to represent the lot of Spirit. The was provided in Schmidt and also Hand’s translate into of publication 2, part 1 that Valens’ Anthology in 1994, back they provided the serif version of the letter phi, and they didn’t explain their factors for making use of this letter. I asked Hand around this recently and he said that that couldn’t recall whether there to be a specific reason why they offered that symbol for spirit, return he stated that that has ongoing to usage it due to the fact that then. Together I researched this much more I remembered that another couple of astrologers named Antoine Garth and also Claire-France Perez, who have done some occupational on Valens’ lots, complied with Schmidt and Hand in utilizing phi together the symbol for the most Spirit. So, evidently there is already a little bit of a heritage behind this symbol end the previous 20 years, return the distinction here is that I’m make the efforts to be a bit more deliberate in make a specific case because that why i think that the letter phi must be used, and I’m outlining the specific parameters that the symbol for others to adopt.
7) Evidently ϕ is frequently used to represent the golden ratio in mathematical texts, and a number of other things. Provided Schmidt’s elevator in mathematics, ns wondered if this wasn’t a contributing aspect in their making use of the letter because that spirit. I have tendency to think that they were probably simply using it together a placeholder at that point though, since their beforehand translations were claimed to be preliminary, and likewise since phi is often used in thoughtful texts to represent some share act.
8) There are two or three various other potential versions of the most Spirit glyph that have displayed up in isolated places, although none of these have ever before been widely adopted, and also I would argue that the prize I’m proposing is more appropriate for the reasons outlined above. Among the symbols is a circle with two wavy lines below it, which remained in a fifth century horoscope that is debated in an write-up by Deborah Houlding. Elsewhere, plunder Hand discussed to me that the 16th century astrologer Johannes Schoener has a glyph for the many Spirit in his message that “looks choose the component of Fortune yet with the external circle partly absent on the right-hand side.” Hand notes that he hasn’t seen this symbol used all over else. Finally, much more recently a collection of glyphs for all seven Hermetic too many was presented by Curtis Manwaring as part of his Delphic Oracle software program program, and each lot has the glyph because that each earth in the middle, with a circle and a cross in the center in the background. Manwaring’s glyph for the lot of Spirit then is the symbol for the sun with a circle and a overcome in the background. Ns actually prefer this set of glyphs come a specific extent, and also it is true that the Hellenistic astrologers seem to have associated each that the Hermetic lots through each the the 7 planets. Ns think the the phi glyph that I’m proposing would certainly be a far better alternative for heart though because it is much more in keeping with the more widely supplied glyph for the lot of Fortune that many astrologers use today, i beg your pardon was illustrated above. Additionally, the phi glyph locations the emphasis of the lot much less on the Sun and instead much more on the concept of irradiate in general, which i think is more in maintaining with the rationale underlying the lot of Spirit, if one reverses the calculation for day and night charts.
See more: Fallout 4 How To Increase Settlement Population, How To Increase Maximum Population
There are more than likely some added arguments that can be made, yet those are really the core ones that I want to do for the objective of this post. I look forward to hear what human being think.